View Single Post
Old
02-01-2013, 11:01 AM
NYVanfan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
The fact that Luongo approached Gillis and not the other way around. He wants out. They used this to sign Schneider. How do you go and trade Schneider now? Schneider signed based on the premise that he would be the #1 here eventually, how do you explain that this was a fantasy in Schneider's own mind, and not based on reality?

It's not about broken relationships, it's about there being a clear indication from management on down that Schneider is the guy moving forward. That hasn't changed. The offers for Luongo don't matter. Gillis will trade Luongo regardless.
im not sure i see it that way.
its true that Luo approached Gillis -- that was confirmed shortly after the playoff loss. However, every Luo quote since has shown he's here to do whatever's best for the team (showing up for charity golf tourney, coming to camp early, etc.) It's well known that all the boys in the room get along well (ie not like the well documented Nash trials..)
On the other hand, there was no indication that any promises were made to Schneids, and i think the lack of a NTC is significant. He got a great offer, signed and is being very well paid, and that's an indication of his value to the organization. But I don't see how this dictates that he's unmmovable.
If there's one thing Gillis has said repeatedly is that he'll do whatever's best for the club -- whatever improves the team the most. If the offers are scraps for Luo, but great value for Schneids, I would not at all be surprised to see the latter moved. I think it's fairly safe to say MG surprised us all with the Hodgson trade, no?

In short, IMO the fact that Luo DID want out (after a particularly painful PO exit), does not neccessitate that he continues to do so.