View Single Post
Old
02-01-2013, 01:49 PM
reidy
@reidjjackson

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to reidy
I've actually given this a decent amount of thought lately. Since the first time I ever saw Tyler Seguin play, I've been so impressed by his physical tools. Coming out of Junior, the scouts made it sound as though Taylor Hall was the "toolsy" guy while Seguin was the cerebral, playmaking, Toews/Yzerman-comp who you'd want to build your franchise around. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything that proves those comps at all.

To me, Seguin is supremely skilled. He is Boston's best skater, has an absolutely deadly shot, and has hands for days. He has all the tools in the world to be a superstar.

Hamilton meanwhile, in the limited viewings I've had, seems like a guy with tremendous hockey IQ and vision, while having a pretty legit skillset in his own right. He's huge, can skate, and he can shoot the puck as well as anybody on the B's back end not named Chara.

So it's clear that both are exceptionally talented players at their respective positions. In 2+ years of watching Seguin though, I'm beginning to wonder if he'll ever be that franchise cornerstone-type player who makes everyone around him better. I think he's a shoe-in for 30+ goals, 70+ points every season (I think a much more accurate comparison for Seguin right now is Patrick Marleau), and he's going to score some of the prettiest goals you'll ever see, but I think Dougie may actually be the more "valuable" guy in the long run. He's got all the skills, but it seems like he may have the better head for the game too. I've already seen him make plays with the puck on his stick no Bruins defenseman since Gonchar has been able to pull off. The pass to Krejci sticks out in my mind in particular. Everyone in that building aside from #46 was expecting him to try and beat Ward with a shot. Instead, he sold it, slid it over to Krejci who banged home the game winner with less than 2 minutes left. How many 19 year old rookie defenseman playing would have the poise to complete a play like that?

Time will tell, and I think we need to keep in mind that Dougie's sample size is much smaller than Seguin's (and the fact that they're both incredibly young), but I don't think it's far-fetched to say Hamilton may be the better player in the long run.