Thread: Michel Therrien
View Single Post
Old
02-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Roulin

vCash: 500
I went on a tangent about this a few days ago in another thread, but this thread seems more appropriate.

PK minutes per game so far (after 6 games):

Plekanec 3.45
White 1.30
Eller 0.39
Desharnais 0.11

Plekanec is a very good player in all situations. If there is one criticism I would make against his value as a player, it is his stamina. I haven't seen anyone try to quantify this, but to my eye (and I know many agree), he is usually not the same player by the end of the season.

Plekanec is probably our most effective penalty killing forward, but, by what margin? Does it make that much of a difference, that it's worth putting him out there for defencemen to shoot at more than twice as often as any other center on the team? My instinct says no, that I would rather use depth players in this role, rather than our best.

The turtleneck also leads Hab centers in ES ice time, for good reason. IMO it is much more difficult for Therrien to get favorable matchups if he redistributes those ES minutes. So if we're going to lighten that 20+ minute load, I think the PK is the logical place to start.

I'd also apply some of that philosophy to Markov, especially with Subban back.

Last edited by Roulin: 02-01-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote