Old
02-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
I would assume the other side believes that toughening up would lead to more winning.

It's almost like arguing religion. I think the two sides have some core beliefs that there's two mutually exclusive team set-ups, and that one leads to wins while the other leads to losses.
The problem is that there really isn't evidence to support this. The pro-tough side will point to the 2007 team, but they will completely gloss over the fact that was a ridiculously skilled team. What made that team so great was that they could beat you in so many different ways... but no matter how physical they were, that really wasn't how they won games. It was just something they had in addition to everything else. Yes, they could feed off the physical play, but as we saw, they also took it too far a number of times and just lost their composure.

If given the choice, I would absolutely like to see this team get a little tougher, but not at the expense of skill. To be frank, I just don't think Anaheim can make that trade right now. One way or the other, the Ducks would have to sacrifice, and I'd rather go the depth scoring route. We've spent the last couple of seasons with a Ducks team that was missing exactly that, and it didn't go so well.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote