View Single Post
Old
02-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Island Husky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
Not Hockey Related but CIS Related has anyone heard anything about plans for UNB hosting the Mens Soccer championship this year?

Im curious because while the field is sufficient for UNB Soccer, it seems weird they got awarded the Soccer Nationals unless they had a plan to alter the setting for the Soccer Nationals. If you look at the venues the mens championship has been played over the past handful of years, they all have a small scale stadium feel to them, Seating sections etc. UNB has but a few rows of Minor baseball field like bleachers at Centre field on one side. I know the side against the Aitken Centre could support a good crowd cause of the large Hill, but I can't imagine them not to have a plan to bring in Temporary Bleachers for the opposite side
They were held at UPEI in 2005,(mens), and womens in 2010. In 2005, they just had their field converted to turf in time that year, six-row bleachers down one side, none on the other, and they do not extend all the way down, it is interrupted by the announcing booth etc in the middle. The men's in 2005 had a lot of people for the UPEI games. There were some 2500 at the final game last year at UVic but they are a soccer powerhouse and besides,they still have decent weather in November. I don't think the big financial guarantees are demanded in soccer like they are for basketball, hockey, and football. So they should be OK at UNB, no worse than UPEI. In fact UPEI is hosting the mens again in 2014.

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote