View Single Post
Old
02-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Proto

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Only 29.2 per 60 mins of EV time. That's not even close to the worst on his own team - Gerbe, Grigorenko, Ott, and Pominville are worse. The PP is negligible. His PK numbers are average to below average, but you're also talking about a sample size of around 10 minutes of ice time. Plus the fact that he's being trusted to PK shouldn't really be used to bring him down.

(And, for what it's worth, there are 11 NHL teams that are giving up more than 29.2 SA per 60 mins).
We had this discussion earlier, too (and in the around-the-league thread, I think). Even Hodgson's career sample size is hardly big enough to draw very many meaningful conclusions from, but you can infer a few potential patterns.

His work in the defensive zone looks more lazy than clueless to me. That's something that will probably shape up as he progresses.

Edit: even if Hodgson is a bottom 10% defensive forward in the NHL, the ES SV% of Ryan Miller would still be 910-920 I'd think, because Miller is pretty good (above average usually, at any rate). Hodgson still doesn't look like a great possession player, but he's also a kind of unique kind of player. He's going to have to work very hard/be very smart to overcome some of his limitations as a player.

Last edited by Proto: 02-01-2013 at 04:46 PM.