Thread: GBU: Vanek = God
View Single Post
Old
02-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Sabresfansince1980

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
This so many times. If you pay attention, you'll see everyone from fans to analysts describe Vanek's passing and playmaking skills as "surprisingly good" and "better than you might think." Granted, this is partially because he initially made his name as a sniper/goal scorer, but also because he played with Roy for a long time.

The dude is our best playmaker right now. Beastly. The question is, as always, can he stay healthy enough to help us win? The NESN broadcast guys even said it last night: if Vanek didn't get injured in that playoff series a few years back, things might have gone very differently.

I think him carrying the offense will help that, actually. He'll always take some abuse on power plays, simply because we don't have anyone else who can tip/redirect shots like he can, but he looks way better creating during even strength play than standing in front of the net waiting for (insert Roy-ish player here) to get him the puck.
Oh, when Boychuk hacked him down and sent him sprawling into the end boards to wreck his ankle? That moment and when Mike Richards sent Connolly head first into the boards in game 6 make me hate hockey sometimes. Need a series win? Just injure the other team's players for the series and get two minutes, problem solved.

Vanek's playmaking is what makes him capable of producing without Pominville. Pominville plays a strong, smart enough game that he doesn't need Vanek. It's awesome that they can dominate together and I hope they can stay together with secondary scoring picking up. If it doesn't though and the team is losing a bunch of 3-2, 2-1 games...well, with Ruff's wack-a-mole penchant to juggle lines it'll happen anyway. Hopefully when it does happen it's for the right reasons.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote