Thread: Bortuzzo
View Single Post
Old
02-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Riptide

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Smith View Post
Agree the Pens are missing a stay-at-home-clear-the-crease defenseman, especially come playoff time. I don't know if Bortuzzo will be effective in that role at the NHL level (probably not this year at least), but if they want that (and they should), they're going to need to go out and probably pay a decent price for it.

Lovejoy certainly ain't that guy, but the group-hate for a guy who's a serviceable 6th D is pretty silly.
Fine so he's a serviceable 6th D with zero upside... and yet we play him over two very young players who are just as serviceable as the 6th guy who both have tons of upside when compared to Lovejoy...

So why should we embrace/accept him on this roster? I had no/little issues with him on it last year (even when he played bad) or the year before. But now that we have rookies coming up (and he's aged), he needs to go. We already lost Strait (who's proving me right - that he could play a meaningful role in the NHL). Now we're hurting Bort and Despres's chances at growing as much as possible everytime we sit them in favor of Lovejoy.