View Single Post
Old
02-01-2013, 11:26 PM
Juxtaposer
RIP Long Beach Nativ

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
One good playoff run and suddenly he's worth more then the guy who was just named youngest captain in NHL history, won the Calder, is only 19 years old, and a former 2nd overall pick?

I mean McDonagh was great sure, but before last years playoffs half of HF boards didn't even know his name, now he's apparently considered a god.

He and OEL have become so overrated because of one good showcasing of talent in the playoffs.

Its unfortunate because McDonagh particularly is a guy I want to like and want to see succeed, but this is just ridiculous.
Your bias is showing. Both OEL and McDonagh had stellar rookie seasons (and McDonagh had a flawless sophomore season). OEL literally worked his way up to being the Coyotes' #1 defenseman and playing 30 minutes a game by the end of the year, from being an AHL call-up the year before. McDonagh had a great rookie season playing solidly on the Rangers second pairing with Sauer before being forced into a top-2 role due to Staal's concussion and quickly becoming the Rangers' best defenseman.

These are two of the best young defensemen in the league. Each is only a tier down from the Pietrangelos and Karlssons of the new generation of defensemen.

You say overrated because you haven't seen them and therefore can't believe that they're as good as they are. As someone who has watched both extensively, they are elite players. Personally, I wouldn't be afraid to call Ryan McDonagh my #1 defenseman right now, and OEL is already a Norris caliber player.

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote