View Single Post
Old
07-02-2006, 10:25 AM
Darz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite View Post
I'm happy we have not signed any deals that will handicap us in 4-5 years with huge salaries (see Chara or Elias)

THe smart GMs are being patient. Its not just this year, who may be available next season? how is my cap situation next year.

Kneejerk GMs are going to be in trouble
At least someone hasn't let the free agent fever could their judgement. You're speakin the truth!!!

Hey, I don't think Gainey is sitting back not contacting UFA's, but when teams like NJ force Gainey to offer a guy like Elias $49M over 7 years (I'm sure Elias returns to NJ if we make him the same offer, so...), I'm glad he backs down.

I don't want a GM who panics and doesn't look at both the short and long term effects of his decisons. For some reason we keep forgeting how many bad UFA's signings there are every year. Did we all forget about the failures of the NYR's during their sign all the UFA out there years???? Have we forgotten all the overpayments on the UFA market that were made only one year ago???? I understand that the fans want to see a big signing, but when other GM's are running around like a chicken with their head cut off, I'm glad the habs have a calculating calm guy like Gainey in charge!!!!