View Single Post
Old
02-02-2013, 01:31 AM
Professor John Frink

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
A bit early to say DSP is ruined, and likewise, there's no proof that he wouldn't have had the same struggles if he had gone back to juniors.
I'm going to jump in on this conversation because it's an argument that I have a lot with people as well. Not just regarding DSP but alot of the Ducks young guys.

Someone mentioned players looking not overwhelmed. This argument bothers me, because hopefully as die hard fans we have grown to want more from our players than just not looking out of place. These high drafted players should be producing.

Now with DSP you could argue that he was never drafted nor did he have the skill set to fit into a 2nd line role. I can understand that. But the guy was handed a spot last season, he was handed a spot this season. He hasn't earned anything.

Guys like Holland and Palmieri and Maroon went down, have put in the time and produced. Even Vatanan, although limited has clearly produced in the minors. It bothers me that we then hand a roster spot to Rakell and DSP. Now I'll be the first to say that Rakell has looked fine, but I don't want fine. I want a solid 2nd line two way player. He gains confidence and grows by getting ample ice time. There is no need for him to be in the NHL. Sign a plug who can win faceoffs for that 4th line roll of 8 min a game.As for DSP he simply has never earned a spot on the team IMO. And to me that is what will hurt him overall. He isn't doing anything at the NHL level the team couldn't get from a 4th line grinder. So send him down. Let him play 17 minutes a game. Teach him how to play defense and work within a system, not just to throw his body around. His defensive zone coverage is terrible. Make him earn his spot on this team as a contributor not as a high draft pick. I would also say the same about Etem. He clearly has the physical attributes to play in the NHL, but he still has a ton to learn. He should be learning these things in the minors, making these mistakes in the minors. Where the stress of failure is much much less.

OK End of rant. To me I just don't understand why they don't treat every player like they've treated Palmieri. When they have nothing left to prove at the AHL level and have taken their lumps. That is when a player should be called up. Not because he has potential and he has hype on his side.

Sorry for hijacking the argument between you guys. Just needed to vent.