View Single Post
02-02-2013, 03:57 AM
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
The numbers are favored for Foligno but Kassian's offensive potential is miles higher than Foligno's. You won't see Foligno score goals the way Kassian will one day. His stick handling for a big man is superb and he has good vision and a booming shot. Let's compare them at the end of this season and we'll get a better look at what's these two will be like.

I watched the Canucks game today and Kassian was pretty meh, he made a very nice tape to tape pass on the Edler goal and had one big hit but was otherwise pretty invisible. I hope for Vancouver that he's gotten over his consistency issues and he doesn't start slumping soon.
I think it's easy to forget that it sometimes takes power forwards a little longer than other prospects to reach their potential and find consistency. There aren't many Milan Lucic types that make a consistent impact almost immediately.

I'm very happy with Kassian's production so far, but my excitement is tempered. I fully expect him to go through slumps this season. The fact is he's still barely 22 years old and learning how to effectively play that style of game at an NHL level night in and night out.

The thing that pleases me about Kassian is how smart he is. The misconception about playing with the Sedins is you just need to go to the net and wait for them to pass the puck around until it's on your stick for a goal. The reason Alex Burrows has been so successful with the Twins is because of how smart he is, and I see some of that same hockey IQ with Kassian. He can work the cycle and he's smart when he parks in front. He knows when to roll off into the high slot or to the side of the net. He's been getting a ton of chances and most have been because he's been making the smart play and positioning himself where he needs to be.

Defensively, Kassian has been passable. Not great, not bad. I'd rate him as decent so far in his own end. In terms of physicality, it hasn't so much been in the way of big hits, but more how he uses his body along the boards. With the Twins, Kassian's size has been a huge asset because he's been creating more space for them along the walls because he pretty much forces extra pressure on him because he's very hard to knock off the puck. He's also been great in front, but I'd definitely like to see a little more in the way of actually laying the body.

I'll have to PVR more Sabres games to get a good look at Foligno. Will be interesting to keep an eye on.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote