View Single Post
Old
02-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Troy McClure

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Your options were to sign Goligoski to a similar contract or lose him this coming season for nothing. Like him or not, and right now I'm not his biggest fan, you're not going to lose the asset you mistakenly acquired for James Neal for nothing.
It's a situation you can't win. His current contract isn't the issue. His current play is, and that should be something a good coaching staff can help him overcome. Do we have that in Dallas? That's a legitimate concern.
I agree with all of this. His contract isn't a problem today. It's not like they would have used that money for a better player

I think they also paid him at a time when he looked to be in a bit of a slump, but they expected his play to bounce back to what it was when he was acquired. They paid him to stay, to justify the trade, to hit the cap floor, and because they probably never would have guessed his play would get worse and worse.

Secretly, Nieuwy probably wants a do over on the trade and the extension, but not even the biggest pessimist would have predicted Goligoski looking this bad. If he had known Goligoski would start to look more and more like Andy Delmore without the offense, future Nieuwy would have built a time machine to go back and warn himself of the problem.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote