View Single Post
Old
02-02-2013, 12:54 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Mantha's numbers look great, but of the negative things I've heard from him, they really make me worry. He has such a rare combination of size, speed, and skill that he will look great for a few shifts the entire game, be invisible for the rest of the game, and end up with 3 points at the end of the game. He can disappear for long shifts, pop into the right spot on the ice and score, and then seem to disappear.
I'm aware of the critiques you're suggesting but idk how accurate they are. Mantha is a sniper. He's absolutely deadly on the PP from the right circle which is something that could be lethal with Giroux. His defense isn't stellar but its not the worst either. He has speed so he can be effective on the back check, similar to how Jeff carter used to use his speed to attack puck carriers from behind on the back check.

Mantha is most useful when he has someone who can get passes to him charging up the wing or cross the slot on the circle. I don't think that what you're describing is all that uncommon for junior level wingers and I don't see it being something that will effect his impact on the nhl level. Do I think he's a guy who can single handedly dominate a game and create numerous chances by himself? No. Do I think he could be very good and effective with a good playmaker centering him? Absolutely.