View Single Post
Old
02-02-2013, 05:10 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
So now we can judge Phil Kessel by his play - and not his stats?

You guys make it so confusing - normally Kessel supporters completely disregard anything other than his 30+ goals. Now that he's not scoring its awfully convenient that his "play away from the puck" is fair game.

I can list you 100 players in the NHL that are far superior to Phil Kessel "Away From the Puck" .. so if he's not scoring goals - and he's below average away from the puck - why are we trying to rebuild around him?>
He has 4 assists for the season, and while it may be a slow start for him, it's not like he's not pitching in, and generating chances. Heck, he played a significant role in all 4 of the goals he's assisted on. He's still averaging over 4 shots/game (tied for 2nd most shots in the league), and has had quite a few quality scoring chances.

Not sure what's so hard to grasp about the argument. Kessel has improved his play away from the puck, while sacrificing very little of his offense. The lack of his goal production isn't a result of him not getting any/enough chances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
LR I'm not interested in putting Phil Kessel's needs ahead of the team. In order for Phil Kessel to be successful and make significant contributions to the win/loss column we would need to give up significant assets to fully realize his potential (and cap)

Unless someone can provide me with a realistic plan of how you would build a team around Phil Kessel that does not involve:

Banking on the Hope/Wish/Prayer that a Quality UFA will sign here in the off-season
Mortgaging the Future via Assets traded to help Phil Kessel realize his true potential

I'm all ears ...
So your plan is to get rid of top line/pairing players and hope that we end up in a position to draft top line/pairing players. Brilliant.