View Single Post
Old
02-02-2013, 05:26 PM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfournier103 View Post
I'm leaving out goalies, because they're in a class by themselves. That being said (in MY opinion)...

Gretzky, Orr, Howe, and Lemieux are the top tier. The 'Big Four' if you will. An exclusive club, and I don't know if a fifth will be added to this group anytime soon. Whoever number five will be hasn't entered the NHL yet.

I think Mark Messier belongs in this next group with; The Richards, Dennis Potvin, the Hulls, Guy Lafleur, Steve Yzerman, Jean Beliveau, Larry Robinson, Paul Coffey, Phil Esposito, and Mike Bossy. A case could also be made for Ray Bourque, Marcel Dionne, and Mike Modano's inclusion in this group, also.

Mark Messier had a scoring touch, and was a beast on the ice. The fact that he was ALWAYS picked as an alternate captain every time in international competition for the Canadian squad should close that question. Personally, I wish he could have been a Boston Bruin. Even if it were only for a day... Some of his stats are inflated because he played for so long, but you don't play in the NHL from 1979-2004 without being pretty darn great.
That is seriously twisted list.

Paul Coffey for sure but case to be made for Bourque? Really.

Both Hull's? Modano? No Jagr? No Lidstrom?

Not a solid list.

Being long in the NHL does NOT inflate stats.

TAnnala is online now   Reply With Quote