View Single Post
Old
02-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Melrose Munch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Don't let the pessimists above detract you.

Obviously, one guy above is sour on California. I understand that. But people wonder why California is so expensive and to be clear, this is where the jobs are.

Why not live in Kansas where homes cost about a quarter of what the do here? Because there are absolutely no jobs there.

So I would take the advice above with a grain of salt. Secure a job, then move. You are young, so apartment living is in your future. But its all about establishing yourself here, and then moving forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
No, CA is not the same.

-------------------------

There are a lot of negative nellies around here but there are also some obvious concerns. You need to get the immigration thing solved first and I'm pretty ignorant on the subject. Next, finding a job will be a challenge for anything that pays decent. I have a friend who does customer service at a car dealer and lives two blocks from the water in Long Beach. So, it can be done. But you need to figure out what your career path is and start working towards that first. As far as traffic is concerned, a lot of people have simply made choices to live in areas that aren't near their jobs because they either don't like the area where they work, can't afford to own/rent in those areas or want to be shielded from city life. It is all about what floats your boat. I know people that are willing to drive from Fontana area to DTLA because they can afford a home there. I think they are bat **** crazy. I personally see no value in owning a home. I like the freedom and lack of responsibility in renting.

The bottom line is anyone can go anywhere. You just need a game plan. In terms of costs, you're gonna need about $500 rent to find a room to share in a 2+ bedroom apt or house then add in food and traveling expenses. Everyone knows getting a job is about who know. I'd hit up your relative to see if he can find you ANY kind of work and go from there.

As far as career advice goes, don't spend too much on your education. Go to community college and get a degree in business or some sort of tangible skill or trade. I know a guy who is over six figures in debt from going to law school and he just finally found a job after looking for two years. He is going to be paying that off the rest of his life. I have no college education and no debt and make more money than a lot of my pledge educated friends. It has put some limitations on my career but I'm happy to not be saddled with a mountain of debt like some of my friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I love living here, I just think that it's difficult for a transplant with no career, no experience living here to adjust to life here (especially when they said their family is in the IE). Basically impossible.

If I was moving out of country Australia would definitely be of consideration. I like that idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
I moved here from Chicago about four years ago and I love it. Obviously immigration and getting a job lined up are crucial, but some people are making LA seem like it's a really dangerous place. While there are awful areas, they are easy to avoid. I haven't had a single problem yet. The traffic can be a real ***** though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choralone View Post
Your biggest advantage is that you are young, don't have many obligations, and have a safety net because you can go home again if things fall apart. Even if you aren't keen on the last part, it's a huge advantage that lets you take chances.

The immigration thing is your biggest hurdle. Second, because the LA metro area is so sprawling, you should square away a job first, before picking your place to live.

Regional unemployment is high, but because benefits keep getting extended, there is a portion that isn't pushed to find work and so the numbers are a little inflated.

Finally, people specifying the beach cities as places to live are crazy. There are plenty of places in Southern California that are aren't as romantic (or expensive) but are still safe, pleasant places to live.

For instance, I'd recommend Burbank, where I've lived for the last 2 years. It's a little sleepy, and doesn't have many good restaurants, but the traffic is light, the neighborhoods are safe, and you're close to Pasadena, Hollywood, and Downtown LA (20-25 minutes when there's no traffic, 40 minutes when the traffic is substantial).
Thanks for the support. I don't really plan on staying in Fontana but of course
I thought having family out there would help the process a bit.

Melrose Munch is online now   Reply With Quote