View Single Post
Old
02-02-2013, 08:59 PM
pdd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
1. Yzerman is overrated.

2. I find your criteria interesting, 'considered 'on par' with Gretzky and Lemieux. By who? You? And regardless, its interesting coming from a poster who constantly bashes Messier, a player who actually WAS considered on par with Gretzky and Lemieux (Conn Smythe over 99, Harts/Pearsons/All-star berths over both).
In another thread, I forget which one, a poster had dug up an article from the 1990 ASG regarding the Hart favorites. The article mentioned none of Yzerman, Gretzky, or Lemieux among Hart favorites (IIRC it picked LaFontaine, Bourque, Messier) but did specify them as the best players. As I said, I don't recall the specific wording.

In 1987-88, Steve Yzerman was considered the favorite for the Hart trophy when he barreled into the goal post knee-first, ending his regular season.

In particular, I recall an issue of THN (I think) that featured a cover with an image of Yzerman, an image of Lemieux, and an image of Gretzky, and the question "Who's the best?" laid over the images.

In 1988-89, Steve Yzerman outscored Wayne Gretzky at even strength during Gretzky's prime and was only one point behind Lemieux at even strength. He won the Pearson that year.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote