View Single Post
Old
02-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
You make some great points but I think MB knew exactly what he was getting. Prust is only a 4th liner on very deep teams. He has very good hockey skills, is all energy, and is a tough MF.

When the Habs make the playoffs he will see an awful lot of ice time.
True enough. But still, on a line with Moen and Nokes (for example), Prust would represent over half the cap hit of the line. Without the trickle down effect to the rookies, the production boost from having kids like them beside him, or the renewed hopes for a post season, it's unclear as to whether or not we'd be looking on Prust's 2.5M quite the same. Hindsight making Bergevin look extra clever targeting him, and I'm personally glad about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
My feeling is unused cap space doesn't play. From what I've seen of the NHL, cap problems are something only winning teams have really had to worry about - N.J., Chicago, have paid for cap problems. But NYR have been by far the most stupid with contracts in the cap era, and haven't really lost anything in terms of on-ice compromises, they either got suckers (us) or spent their way out. So far I think yes Prust is overpaid and yes I'm glad we decided to overspend for a guy like him. Who knows how it'll look long terms but he is on hell of a useful team player. How many guys in the league could you even consider putting with two rookies, one 18 and the other tiny, and actually create a credible line while actually providing serious protection? There aren't that many of them, actually.
Good points, and I agree.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote