View Single Post
Old
02-02-2013, 10:29 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=eva unit zero;58935137]In another thread, I forget which one, a poster had dug up an article from the 1990 ASG regarding the Hart favorites. The article mentioned none of Yzerman, Gretzky, or Lemieux among Hart favorites (IIRC it picked LaFontaine, Bourque, Messier) but did specify them as the best players. As I said, I don't recall the specific wording.

In 1987-88, Steve Yzerman was considered the favorite for the Hart trophy when he barreled into the goal post knee-first, ending his regular season.

In particular, I recall an issue of THN (I think) that featured a cover with an image of Yzerman, an image of Lemieux, and an image of Gretzky, and the question "Who's the best?" laid over the images.

In 1988-89, Steve Yzerman outscored Wayne Gretzky at even strength during Gretzky's prime and was only one point behind Lemieux at even strength. He won the Pearson that year.[/QUOTE]

You do realize that pp/pk is an important part of hockey too right?

I own an issue of Sports Illustrated from 88 or 89 with Mario on the cover and a headline that reads "As great as Gretzky?". I don't recall the one with Yzerman, maybe I missed that issue.

Yzerman wasn't underrated at all. It was always Mario and Wayne flip flopping, but Steve as the 3rd best center was quite a few notches below them.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote