View Single Post
Old
02-02-2013, 11:14 PM
rkhum

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Doakes, you just gave mean idea...

I said in the post above that I agreed with just about all of what you posted; but there is one small part that No.... That one option of the West with one 4-team Division and one 6-team Division. It's one thing to have 5 and 4-team Divisions, or 5 and 6 team Divisions, or 7 and 8-team Divisions,... but a difference of 4 and 6 is simply too much. HOWEVER,... if the basic two Conference separation is maintained, where teams from one Conference really aren't competing in the Standings with teams from the other Conference, then just perhaps a 4-team Division could exist in the one Conference and a 6-team Division in the other. I mean, hell, the League was planning a 16-14 Conferences split anyway.

West

PACIFIC
San Jose
Los Angeles
Anaheim
Phoenix
Colorado

NORTHWEST
Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton
Winnipeg

WEST CENTRAL
Minnesota
Chicago
St Louis
Dallas
Detroit

East

NORTHEAST
Boston
Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto
Buffalo

EAST CENTRAL
NY Rangers
NY Islanders
New Jersey
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Columbus

ATLANTIC
Washington
Carolina
Tampa Bay
Florida
Nashville

And in that 4-team Division, the League could guarantee the Division winner only a top-4 spot. And in the 6-team Division, the 2nd place team could be guaranteed a Playoff spot, something in the top-8.
Nah, I don't like the 16 v 14 split.
I don't like Columbus in the east as well; I think that is unneccessary.

A 6 v 4 division in ONE conference is fair.
It is MUCH more fair than 4 conferences where:
-4 teams per conference automatically get in no matter how weak the conference is (meaning a team finishing 5 in one division despite having more points than a 2nd place team misses the playoffs).
-Further, the Rangers having only TWO games with Boston and the original sixes...is that really fair?

You solve the 4 v 6 division in a conference this way: Copying the NBA.

1) The 1 seed goes to the team with the best record
2) The 2 seed DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY GO to a division winner. It goes to the team with the 2nd best record.
3) The other two division winners get a the 2nd/3rd/4th seed depending on points not just too each other but to the other top 4 non-division champ and
4) If the 3rd division champ is really weak, they lose home ice in round 1.

So in my example....the 6 team central has:

StL-110 points
CHI-106 points
DET-100 points

the 4 team NW has:
VAN-99 points

and the 5 team Pacific has:
LA-104 points

Currently the seeds are:
1) StL 2) LA 3) Van 4) CHI 5) DET

But now....

1) StL 2) CHI 3) LA 4) Van 5) DET and DET has home ice.

I think that MORE than solves the problem and makes divisions of different sizes fair and irrelevant.