View Single Post
Old
02-02-2013, 11:30 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
The thing about Niksy is that trading him now could be a bit of a case of "selling low". Yes, he has raised his stock since we got him, but he has the potential to raise it significantly more by the time the summer rolls around or sometime next season if he continues his upward climb.

More importantly, we can't afford to trade Nisky right now. I love Despres size and some of his offensive creativity, but with all the +++'s he's been getting around here, people are still missing the fact that he makes a lot of turnovers defensively. It may not be a huge deal now, but I don't see Simon as a guy who is going to have an extremely quick learning curve (i.e. being able to become mistake-free within his first season) and could get really eaten alive come playoff time.

I'm sorry, but I just do not feel comfortable with Despres being a major fixture of our top-6, and certainly not as a top-pairing Dman with Letang, for a Stanly Cup run for THIS season. (And this is especially the case with everyone else in our top 6, including Nisky, Engo & Bort playing so well).
DB essentially said he is done with the A. So I highly doubt he goes back.

Sending Despres back would stagnate his growth. Letang still makes bonehead plays and probably always will.

Despres is using the boards and outleting the puck faster than I ever saw him in the A or Jrs. He is learning you can't always skate the puck out of danger, a lesson he didn't seem to learn in the A.

Playing agt. inferior talent makes him think he can do things he shouldn't be doing. Now he is learning how fast NHL players close and how quickly he needs to move the puck.

Today his big mistakes came when he got caught pinching. Each game he is learning, but he is being as physical as I have ever seen him and making quick decisions.

He is going to have bad games, people just need to deal with it.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote