View Single Post
Old
02-03-2013, 05:00 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Ding, ding, ding.

This is the truth. People need a player to come on here and whine about. Stepan is the whipping boy for now, just like so many other players have been in the past. Let's start an "irrational pessimism" thread and just throw all this garbage in there.

Great point about Cally too. 22 is too early to be making these sort of judgements on any player.
I can't say that I have good track of all that has been posted on Stepan, but from my point of view its definitely legit to follow Stepan's development over the coming seasons and especially from a season to season perspective. And hence we should be talking about him early this season. And early next season.

Stepan has some outstanding abilities -- but overall he is not a good 2nd line center yet. When he was 20 y/o, I definitely expected him to be one this season. I expected him to have improved his jump a bit, to be able to cover more ice. That usually comes with natrual growth for a player who is 20 y/o. To be a bigger factor on a shift by shift basis than he has been so far.

But while he has rounded off his game, is better defensively and so forth, his jump hasn't improved much if any since his rookie year. That just worries me. It would definitely have worried me as much if we were 6-0-0. If it was one thing I, and many with me, took away from the PO's last season -- it was that Stepan at the level he is playing right now does not cut it as a 2nd line center on a CONTENDER. He must improve.

Last edited by Ola: 02-03-2013 at 07:46 AM.