View Single Post
Old
02-03-2013, 07:50 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post
Teams that are completely out of the playoff picture trade away their short term valuable assets all the time and call up young guys to take their place in the line up. I would consider that a form of tanking. Obviously this was way more prevalent before the current point system created artificial parity and made it difficult for teams to decide whether they are or are not playoff contenders.

Most on this board seem to really be against tanking but if it's done that way I really don't have a problem with it. Some of the best teams right now were assembled by bottoming out. Obviously there are other ways to go about becoming a contender as well but that depends on the competence of your front office and the tolerance of the market to watch a losing team.
You make a valid point, but I personally don't consider that tanking. At some point in a season (often the trade deadline) it often makes sense to sell off short term assets for long term assets to help the rebuild. As you indicated this sometimes results in a bottoming out, but it has been known to improve the competitive advantage of a team if they have NHL ready or close to NHL players in the system.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote