View Single Post
Old
02-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Clown Baby*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Under almost no circumstances would I trade Coburn.

He's great every year in the playoffs.

Tradable for me would be Timonen, Briere, Fedotenko, and Knuble.

Doubt we get much for the last 2
Yep.

There are certain players on this team that have some glaring warts. For Timonen, Briere, Fedotenko, and Knuble, it's their age, and impeding UFA status. For Meszaros, and Bourdon, it's their injury history. These are the only players I'd turn to for compensation in the trade market. Everyone else fills a hole. Except for guys like Lilja, Walker, Shelley, and Leighton who really have no business playing in this league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
if read is putting up good numbers by the time the deadline is near he will be very attractive. cheap, productive. and has one more year at that price tag. He could haul in quite a bit.
If you think you can improve your team by a significant gap, then and only then should you willingly move a player. If said player request a trade because their heart isn't in it (Lindros), if it looks like the player isn't going to be able to re-signed or shouldn't be re-signed for any number of reasons (Gagne, Umberger, etc.) or the player's attitude is complete **** and toxic for the team to be around (York, Calder), then the GM's hand is forced into making a move. I'm far more inclined to make a move for a pick under the latter categories because a wild-card return is more than nothing, which is what you would otherwise have.

Read is incredibly value to this team because he's relatively young, affordable, and he plays a well-rounded game consistently. Until it comes time to re-sign him, and Holmgren is faced with an impossible situation, you have to keep him. Even then, the Flyers may be better served marketing a comparable player expected to fill a comparable role (Jake). If neither of those are in the cards, you call up Nashville, and see what Poille still thinks of his fourteen million dollar man.

I like the core of this team as is. We've got our number three and four defenders a plenty in Mez, Coburn, Schenn, and Grossmann who are physical well-rounded guys that are hard to play against. (And if you think Schenn or Grossmann aren't, take a second and think back to Denis Gauthier, and his embarrassing puck skills.) We've got our captain, Giroux, along with some decent top-six wingers to accompany him (Hartnell, Read, and Voracek). We have some great checking-line talent in Simmonds, Schenn, McGinn, and Laughton. We have a stud two-way forward in the making in Couturier. There are a few reliable fourth-line forwards that aren't an embarrassment to hockey, namely Rinaldo, and Wellwood. We just need to find the top-flight defender(s) to replace Pronger and Timonen.

Clown Baby* is offline   Reply With Quote