View Single Post
02-03-2013, 01:23 PM
vCash: 500
Good thread...
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
If we were to be sellers at the deadline and some how fetch a late 1st round pick, I would really want Ryan Hartman out of Plymouth in the OHL.
Love his game. Reminds me of Callahan. I think he could fill a lot of roles.

Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I think the opposite IMO. A lot of teams drafted dmen last year and will probably want to get in on the forwards before their gone.
I don't think teams draft that way- at least the good ones.

Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
The only thing this draft is missing is quality goaltenders outside of Fucale (who I'm not that crazy of) but the flyers have bigger needs to be taking a goalie early. So I think we'll be fine on that front.
Eric Comrie of Tri-City is pretty good. Spencer Martin of Mississauga as well. Not quite as good as last year's, but goalies can always been found IMO.

Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
You wouldn't trade Simmonds for Jones?

I love Simmonds, but I'd drive him to the airport for the chance to draft any of the players in the top 5 of this draft, especially Jones and MacKinnon.
Agreed, I would trade any guy on the team not named Giroux, 1 for 1, for Jones (and probably MacKinnon/Drouin/Barkov).

Originally Posted by Primary Assist View Post
It's simply bewildering as to why Couturier is SO overvalued on this board. What has he shown to warrant this acclaim? When you watch him skate, he's slow as molasses.
I like Couturier, but yes he does get overvalued a bit. People who wouldn't trade him for Jones are absolutely nuts.

Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I'm truly surprised that no one is talking about mantha as much as other guys. The kid has 40 goals in 48 games (71 points), he's big, he can skate, he has good hands and one hell of a shot. I really want him in a flyers jersey if we end up with multiple 1sts (obviously a defenseman is top priority).
He's good, but you also have to consider he's the oldest player in the draft.

Just some random thoughts about guys I would like to see:

Ristolainen- solid two-way guy likes to play physical. Don't see as high an upside as other guys in the class.
Zadarov- if you want a big shutdown guy
Nurse- similar frame and athleticism as Jones. Less polished, but if you buy the offense, you could be getting a really good player. Worst case, he's just a shutdown guy.
Morrissey- Offensive guy who can skate
Pulock- not as high on him as others, but he has a bomb of a shot
Mirco Mueller- the last Swiss defender we drafted turned out to be pretty good. Big guy who can skate and is developing his offensive game.
Madison Bowey- I like this kid. Good skater, good offensive game. Can you go wrong drafting a defenseman from Kelowna?
Shea Theodore- one of the best pure offensive guys in the draft
Chris Bigras- seems to be a guy on the rise
Jordan Subban- passed on a Subban some years ago and regretted it. Not as good, but has some nice offensive tools.
Robert Hagg- solid Swede with a lot of poise.
Jan Kostalek- Czech import who was making his mark until an injury disrupted that.

Frederik Gauthier- Big two-way center with lots of upside
Max Domi- tiny but but plays with a lot of heart and some nice mitts
Valentin Zykov- this kid has been on fire. Big and strong. Could see a big rise if not for the Russian factor.
Sergey Tolchinsky- small, but nice skills.
Artturi Lehkonen- small, but good hands and a good shot. Once he develops physically, he could be a force.

I have a lot better feel for the defenseman. There's definitely a big drop off after Jones, but he's one of the best defenders to come along in a few years. Even so, there appears to be some nice depth- especially in the Dub. I think there are some high upside forwards- guys who are playing their first year of major junior hockey and/or catching fire in the second half. Really excited about this class. If this season bottoms out, it won't be as bad as getting JVR, I can tell you that.