Thread: STU Tommies
View Single Post
Old
02-03-2013, 12:52 PM
cishockeyfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
I think the impact of the new rink is vastly overrated. The new rink was an advantage simply compared to the old rink. The weight room, the dressing room...they're on par, perhaps a bit better than most in the AUS (I have no point of reference other than UNB), but to most recruits from major junior organizations, the facilities would be either about what they have come from, or perhaps below -- newer, shinier, maybe, but not "Wow, sure I'll sign!" stuff. Take, as an example, the London Knights -- 9,000 seat building in the downtown. Saint John -- 7,000 seat building in the downtown. I assume the infrastructure of weight room, dressing room, player lounge are much the same. So, as far as Fredericton is concerned, the Grant-Harvey is great...it's new, it's got great curb appeal. But the only "advantage" as far as STU is concerned is, it's not the LBR.
I agree the rink is not an advantage over other teams, but the rink is a huge advantage over what they had. it doesnt matter how many people in Fredericton that remember rum row, or remember the battle of the hill game back in 2002, 1994, 1987, New Guys coming in would only visually see the rink for what it was and what it didnt have, history meant nothing to them. Even the battle of the Hill at this point means nothing, so in university Hockey this newer facility means a lot to be back on a even playing field with the other AUS teams in that regard.

The Last players I remember for STU to cause any fear when they were out on the Ice by being a constant scoring threat, were Kyle McAllister and Justin Bowers. As far as Defenseman go probably Nick Theriault cause of his Shot and the defenseman I cant think of his name of hand that played for the 07 Canada university games team???