View Single Post
02-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
vCash: 500
Gonna have to call Dean out on this one.

“Even more so. I think the guy was really underestimated, maybe because of the volume he’s played. But, if you look at the games he’s won for us the last two years, to get us in the playoffs – he’s shown he can go in under not the best of circumstances and get it done in some tough buildings.”
Wins @MIN and @STL last year were his only road wins. Year before was better, he won at EDM, CBJ, NAS x2, WSH. That's hardly awe inspiring. The guy is underestimated for a reason, he's 20-18-5 during his career on an excellent defensive team, and over the last three seasons where he was expected to fill a backup role he was 16-14-5. That doesn't scream potential starter to me.

On the flipside you look at other goalies like Schneider and Rask who have put up better numbers as backups, and it's easy to see why those guys have pushed on to become starters. They are far better goaltenders. Taking everything into consideration it's obvious why a team hasn't come in with a big offer for Bernier, he is unproven and inconsistent in his appearances.

I think he's like Neuvirth, solid enough, but he's not going to push a team into the playoffs, and if you want to get in them ultimately you would prefer to have Bernier as a backup.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote