View Single Post
Old
02-03-2013, 02:12 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Not many, but those teams that have superstars (like when we had Mats) in a critical position like C are going to have the foundation for success more so than teams with a bunch of pretty good pieces like we do.

I really like Kessel, and while I don't think he's the "face of a franchise" classic best player, I think the Leafs need to a) close the gap between Kessel and the next best player or b) more ideally, get a player who's a little better than Kessel.

I think Kadri, Gardiner and JVR can eventually deliver on the former, and Rielly could deliver the latter, but point remains, we need more elite talent.
I said it in another thread but ill repeat it here. We need to get over this notion that there is one type of player or style of play that leads to success. If we've seen anything, it's that you need everything to come together at the right time. Boston had no Crosby type player, just a goalie playing out of his mind. Kopitar is good, but to me he is nowhere near that level either. See Quick playing insane hockey again. Two different teams, different styles, different top talent. Pittsburgh had arguably three of the best centers in the game for many years, and one Cup. Chicago played a much more offensive game, and granted Toews played great, but what's happened since?

I could go on and on..

Anyway, must head out, again thanks for the awesome peaceful discussions ladies and gents.

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote