View Single Post
02-03-2013, 02:14 PM
In Dean We Trust
vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Gonna have to call Dean out on this one.

Wins @MIN and @STL last year were his only road wins. Year before was better, he won at EDM, CBJ, NAS x2, WSH. That's hardly awe inspiring. The guy is underestimated for a reason, he's 20-18-5 during his career on an excellent defensive team, and over the last three seasons where he was expected to fill a backup role he was 16-14-5. That doesn't scream potential starter to me.

On the flipside you look at other goalies like Schneider and Rask who have put up better numbers as backups, and it's easy to see why those guys have pushed on to become starters. They are far better goaltenders. Taking everything into consideration it's obvious why a team hasn't come in with a big offer for Bernier, he is unproven and inconsistent in his appearances.

I think he's like Neuvirth, solid enough, but he's not going to push a team into the playoffs, and if you want to get in them ultimately you would prefer to have Bernier as a backup.
He doesn't get enough games and we rely too heavily on Quick. I am not really advocating Bernier here, and I love Quick to death, but Bernier doesn't choose when and where he starts. Both Rask and Schneider were given chances because the number one goaltenders ahead of them wigged out and failed in some way. It isn't the case with Quick, therefore, Bernier gets zilch for games, and now he is made to suffer and be discredited because he wasn't given a shot against a contender and has to play a game every two months?

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote