Thread: Value of: Dallas vets
View Single Post
Old
02-03-2013, 03:42 PM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
I am going to take a wild guess here, but if NCAA rules that exist for football regarding amateur status apply for hockey too (most likely they do), then a student can't sign a contract. If a NCAA draftee continues his education to completion (4 years is the usual length) without opting out, then it might be required that the time period be given.
It wasn't my intention to derail the thread, but I've really been wondering about this.

The major drawback to that scenario would by most NCAA hockey players don't go to college at 18. You'll at least see 1 year in the USHL, BCHL, OPJHL, etc. If the team gets 2 years to sign him, now they control him for 7 years if they draft him as an 18 year old (1 season of USHL, 4 in NCAA, then 2 year period to sign).

I wish someone would hurry up and write an article explaining the Goepfert Letter Agreement. Regardless, I'll shut up and just be content with assuming that agreement really did fix the loophole until I hear the details.

I'm most interested in how this will apply to Dallas picks Scott Winkler and Curtis McKenzie. I don't think there's any chance McKenzie signs in Dallas if he can easily become an UFA, but he's a guy I'd really like to see if he can develop into an aggressive Bottom 6 checker.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote