Thread: Value of: Dallas vets
View Single Post
Old
02-03-2013, 04:09 PM
Treb

vCash: 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
It wasn't my intention to derail the thread, but I've really been wondering about this.

The major drawback to that scenario would by most NCAA hockey players don't go to college at 18. You'll at least see 1 year in the USHL, BCHL, OPJHL, etc. If the team gets 2 years to sign him, now they control him for 7 years if they draft him as an 18 year old (1 season of USHL, 4 in NCAA, then 2 year period to sign).

I wish someone would hurry up and write an article explaining the Goepfert Letter Agreement. Regardless, I'll shut up and just be content with assuming that agreement really did fix the loophole until I hear the details.

I'm most interested in how this will apply to Dallas picks Scott Winkler and Curtis McKenzie. I don't think there's any chance McKenzie signs in Dallas if he can easily become an UFA, but he's a guy I'd really like to see if he can develop into an aggressive Bottom 6 checker.
By the same as CHL/Euro, I meant they can't go UFA unless the team let them go. NCAA draftees have until they finish school to be signed (usually 4 years, 5 for people that stays 1 year in the USHL, BCHL, OPJHL, etc.).

Edit: Winkler is in his 4th NCAA year, so he can't opt out as UFA. Mckenzie played only in the NCAA post-draft, so he's not loophole eligible.

Treb is offline   Reply With Quote