View Single Post
Old
07-03-2006, 07:57 AM
Astaroth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Exactly. I think the Richer idea is a very good one. Imagine all of his moves and dangles in the "new-NHL" without people hooking on him and holding him back? Richer would probably be good for 30 goals, even in spot duty. And shootouts!

The other constructive and realistic way to improve the team at little cost that might be worth exploring would involve our Swiss connection. While Streit and Aebischer have certainly made their marks, I am thinking of some of our ex-pats, like Oleg Petrov. Still just 35. You want to sign Sergei Samsonov for $4M? Petrov can do the same thing for $450,000. Paul DiPietro is also 35. Benoit Gratton and Sebastien Bordeleau, are they even 30 yet? You might be tempted to laugh, but Glen Metropolit was the leading scorer in Switzerland last season. And guess where he is today? Petteri Nummelin was the leading scorer on defense. Ville Peltonen was near the top. All 3 signed to NHL contracts in recent weeks. Cheap h-alp available. All it takes is a little bit of creative thinking, like our good friend Kirk Muller just demonstrated.
Eh, Richer would be pretty good in his prime but at 40 ... He isn't a fitness freak by any stretch of the imagination so I doubt he's in form.

Petrov though, I think if it's a low risk/high reward chance. Remember he scored 24 goals in the old nhl. He'd be perfect in the new one, and he's been dominating in europe, even during the lockout agaisnt Thorthon and Nash (he outscored both).

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote