View Single Post
Old
02-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
Well, we just have to see how much of a mess is cycling right now to understand that the repercussions of a real fight are not that positive.

There is problems with how to turn this into an asset PR-wise, which is quite difficult considering how large is the number of players that are probably over the line, and we also have to consider the fact that more often that not, cheaters are ahead of the controlers and often have a better knowledge of the products.

There is a huge trial currently going on in Spain about a doctor who was caught by the Guardia Civil, he was mostly working with pockets of blood that were treated (i'll skip the details) in order to be reimplanted into the patient, then, rejuvenated and completely fresh.
Cycling is the only sport to have done some work with that and caught several riders. Yet, everyone around the case knows that there is many sports also involved in this, like soccer, tennis and boxing for instance.

But right now, if you fight against doping, you are going to lose money and hurt your reputation. Even if you are cleaner than others.
For the record, as i see that some may think this, but doping never improves the quality of the show.
It has to come from the league itself. No player is going to push for this.

As for the damage to the game, imagine the damage it would do if information starts leaking out that some of the great players from the 80s and 90s were doping. Imagine the damage it does to the game's credibility.

Look at baseball's HOF. It was once the gold standard of HOFs. Only the best got in but now they're keeping out several of the game's best players. Bonds, Clemens and Piazza are all eligible but aren't getting in. It would be like keeping out Patrick Roy, Joe Sakic and Mark Messier... just unthinkable. But unfortunately that's the situation over there. And it's a real problem because how do you have a HOF but omit an entire generation of players?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk94 View Post
There is only a finite number of PED's, and as I said earlier, more steroids doesn't mean better results. Most anabolic and androgenic steroids are derivatives of synthetic testosterone, not some crazy poisonous chemicals. And the most expensive PED, HGH, is still relatively cheap. The only problem I see are the athletes that absolutely want to stay clean and refuse to take anything, its not fair for them. But these guys are pro athletes and fierce competitors, I suspect like the alphas that they are that they are always looking for that edge to be the best.
Nobody cared about steroids in baseball either. Even as far back as '88 most folks knew that Canseco was juicing. But once guys like McGwire started breaking Ruth's records it suddenly became a really big deal.

Same thing will happen in hockey if anyone starts approaching Gretzky's numbers. All of a sudden people are going to care a whole lot more than they used to.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote