View Single Post
Old
02-03-2013, 06:32 PM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
never said you were the guy to bring up Krüger here. I never said Krüger is a better finisher than Frolik. Just said that if anybody is as bad as Krüger scoring goals and finishing it would be Frolik, not Bollig.

Krüger is a big reason with Frolik that our PK is better than last year. Now add in that the goalie finally is the best penalty killer and you have a Top3 PK.

I just don't get the obsession Krüger gets here. He is in the Bottom 6, playing good on the PK and doesn't make many mistakes while getting better and better. Much improved and still some kind of weak along the boards... but he did beat the Sedins there more than once along the boards - look how they are seen even being that soft and "weak". (waits for response like "Krüger better than Sedin, WTF Oo")

hell, he is just our 4th line Center and plays GREAT at this spot so far.
I'll preface what I write by saying that I'd like to play hockey as "poorly" as Kruger. I believe that he has above average hockey sense, and that allows him to overcome a bit his below average hockey skills.

The obsessions actually started with two posters who wouldn't stop with the rhetoric about what a great player he was/is, about his phenomenal contributions to the Hawks last/this year, and about how "he is getting better and better" (I surely hope so, as he has a lot of room to grow, so to speak). I'm tired of reading about all of the hype and excuses some people here make for him. It forces the rest of us to offer contrarian responses.

Well, he's defensively responsible, but really that's about it. He's made the most of his PK opportunities, and for that I'm grateful. He hustles and backchecks hard, and I really like his overall effort level.

However, if he aspires to be great defensively, he would find a way to win 55% of his faceoffs. Faceoffs are extremely important, as MM outlined. (Anyone who remembers Mikita's prowess would agree.) He gets pushed off the dot frequently, and his weak arm strength also causes him to lose the draw (as well as have a pathetic shot). His best chance to win is a clean pull, though he has a few cute moves that give him a few more wins. It also frustrates the heck out of me when he can't clear the puck out of our zone because he's weak and clears with the authority of a midget-level hockey player.

He's obviously challenged offensively. He doesn't pass or stick-handle particularly well, doesn't snipe, isn't fast, and his "go-to" move is going to the net to get a rebound. He still gets knocked down on the boards and in front of the net with regularity. Can you disagree with any of that???

He certainly seems better this year than last (damning with faint praise), and I attribute that to his time spent in the AHL. Right now he's a passable fourth line center on the Hawks. Anything more on this team andI know that I'll not be happy with our personnel.

Right now, in my wildest imagination, I can't visualize that he'll ever be an adequate second line center on any playoff-bound team in the NHL, let alone on the Hawks. He might rise to third line center, but I hope we have better optons than him on this team in that role.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote