View Single Post
Old
07-03-2006, 10:12 AM
David_99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2 View Post
In my opinion its *way* too early to make any kind of assessment after two days into free agent season. Most of the teams have plenty of their rfa's unsigned - there is a good chance power balance shifts again if some teams are forced to make trades with their players to keep some cap room.

I would loved to see Arnott or someone else added, but next seasons Habs should be still improved over last years edition - one strength not mentioned is Gainey has kept our unit intact instead of ripping team apart and bringing in hockey mercenaries - which is good for team spirit.
Exactly, and NJ is a great example of a team that must make hard decisions and trade some assets to afford their Elias'. Teams that didn't sign the 7mil/y players have the upper hand in the cap room and can take on these other players salaries from teams in a cap bind. We can trade for something we want, while getting rid of things we don't.

I also like the types of players we are getting and the way our team is managed. In 6 years, is Higgins the type to leave the Habs because someone else is offering $100,000 more(*coff* Quintal *coff*)? no way. This team is becoming a family. The Bulis' are finding their way out in search of their money. Teams that build on UFA every year follow the same path each year because their players don't stay long enough. And the product on the ice never gets better because there's no time for cohesion. (former NY, Boston, Toronto)

David_99 is online now   Reply With Quote