View Single Post
Old
02-03-2013, 08:22 PM
no name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Our system has produced a ridiculous amount of players. Look at our Cup winning roster, we produced Kopitar, Brown, Doughty, Voynov, King, Martinez, Clifford, Loktionov, Lewis, Nolan, Quick and Bernier, all of whom played half a season with us or were key in the playoffs. Of that group, only Loktionov and Bernier didn't play in the cup run. Additionally, if you want to talk about guys who were 'developed' by the Kings from last year, you can add in Jack Johnson, Westgarth and Drewiske, who all came up through the Kings system in one way or another. That is 15 players, and only Dustin Brown can be said to have been 'developed' prior to DL (Kopitar and Quick were Taylor picks, but speaking developmentally, they were brought up under the DL system). So that'd be 14 players developed and turned into an NHL player through the Kings system on the Kings team last year. That was done since 2006, so over a 6 year span we developed 14 players, which is over two per year. That's a very good rate.

And that doesn't include guys we partly or fully developed who went elsewhere and had success, such as Purcell, Boyle, Moulson, Wayne Simmonds and Brayden Schenn, or even partial successes, like Oscar Moller, Scott Parse.

Basically, we are producing roughly three NHLers per year through the draft or other methods under DL, with many of them being key players at all positions, how many teams do that?
I hope you don't think I was talking historically. Even non fans know who the Kings have developed. I'm talking about recently and what is coming up. Recently we have traded away our picks and in the process have failed to come up with blue chip players in our farm system. That's not terrible because in the process we have aquired key players like Carter and Richards in the Schenn trade.

Over the past 3 to 4 years we have traded our only blue chip prospect. We have traded first rounders to get Penner and will be giving up a first rounder in what is called the best draft in 10 years (going in) to get Carter. Sustained success can not be attained without a prospect pool. Vey is nice, bt he's just a talented guy. Toffoli is great but he's still not a blue chipper despite how much we all love him. Pearson is an overager who was not even considered a first round talent. He's played well but he's not an impact player.

I'm not complaining, just making a point.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote