Thread: Value of: Derek Stepan
View Single Post
Old
02-03-2013, 09:29 PM
The Sweetness

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
Michael Del Zotto finished 12th in Norris voting. While I think he's criminally underrated on these boards, you'll never see me claiming that he's actually the 12th best defenseman in the NHL.
If O'Reilly's finishes 14th in selke voting and the other is nowhere to be found on a list of 50 players then you need to acknowledge there is a significant difference in their defensive play. I mean, O'Reilly led the entire league in takeaways. There is really no debate on this issue. I guess we have to agree to disagree here.
Quote:
And you could also argue that playing in the Rangers' super-conservative defensive system prevented Stepan from scoring even more than he did. You can make arguments in any direction--bottom line is that Stepan has shown he can consistently put up ~20 goals and 45+ points. O'Reilly hasn't shown that yet. Until he does, his offense can't be viewed on the same level.
That would be a poor argument considering the Rangers had the 13th ranked offense and the Avs had the leagues 26th ranked offense. Not to mention O'Reilly faced tougher matchups than Stepan because Boyle was used in a shutdown role and Stepan got to play so much with Gaborik.

I'm not sure why you place so much stock on production from two years ago for such young players when it's clear players develop by leaps and bounds at such a young age and it's obvious O'Reilly is trending sharply upwards. If you want to rate Stepans offense as better than O'Reilly we can agree to disagree and check back in a few years.

Quote:
My "inside information" is that if he were asking for a contract that matched his situation/accomplishments to date, he would have been signed a long time ago. If the Avs aren't going to give him what he's asking for, Glen Sather (notorious for hard-balling RFAs) sure as hell won't
I.e you know nothing. Subban held out and got a great contract. We don't know if the Avs are playing hardball or if O'Reilly is making unnecessary demands. We can come back here when he signs and see what kind of money he got.

Last edited by The Sweetness: 02-04-2013 at 11:48 AM.
The Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote