View Single Post
Old
02-03-2013, 11:18 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
He said that Pearson is the exact type of player a Stanley Cup winning team needs. Not going to set the world on fire but he'll fight and claw and do the little things you want in a guy. He compared him to Trevor Lewis.

That was on NHL XM radio.

I don't understand how people are taking what I said as a dig on the team. The team will need some impact players soon or they will not be able to pay guys like Brown. Forwards such as King, Clifford, and Nolan are nice, don't get me wrong, but they will need somebody making a true impact soon.
I believe the implication that Pearson was just an average grinder is what got people's knickers in a knot. Which in all honesty, we have had a habit in the past of producing more grinders than skill guys, but that's pretty standard of any system. It takes a very special type of player to become a "sniper" at the NHL level. Nine times out of ten a player who has skill in juniors will adapt his game to be a more physical, energetic style player at the pro level partly due to it being easier to win that spot in the bottom lines then to compete with the likes of Kopitar, Gagne, Brown, Richards, Carter etc. etc. for a top roster spot.

Remember, when Lewis was drafted there was talk he was the next Rod Brind'amour. Clearly that hasn't happened. While Dean Lombardi might compare him to Trevor Lewis, he already has more points in his first 45 games of pro hockey than Lewis had his whole first year. Predictions can be lofty, inaccurate, hopeful, and just plain wrong.

So let's just give him time and let him develop into his own player. He certainly isn't a grinder in my eyes given the fantastic hockey sense and vision he has shown thus far. While he might have been initially compared to Lewis he has already separated himself from him. That doesn't mean that facets of their game and the approach they take to the game aren't similar.

Like someone else said, I don't think it's unimaginable that some day Vey, Toffoli AND Pearson are perhaps in our top-six. That's a skilled set of two-way forwards, not just grinders.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote