View Single Post
Old
02-04-2013, 01:22 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Sorry to be Johnny Come Lately, but while Despres has been uneven at times I think he's been all right overall. I don't think he needs to be sent down at all. You could argue putting him on the bottom pairing would be better for him so they could shelter his minutes, but today was a fast game against a crappy but also nifty offensive team. Again if you're in favor of switching the pairs I can buy that, but I think there's been more good than bad.

Brooksy, this isn't only an issue about Despres. On a lot of other teams, I have no doubt he'd be in their top-6. But him being in our top-6 necessitates either a trade (Niskanen/Orpik/Martin), or having Bortuzzo sitting in the pressbox. And I don't believe that Despres has out-performed any of those or other guys in our top-6. He's also the only one in our top 7 (Lovejoy being #8) who can be sent down.

Niskanen-Letang
Orpik-Martin
Engelland-Bortuzzo

Want to have Despres be the first call up from WBS in the event of injury? Sure, I have no problem with that. Want to have Despres be dressed as the 7th D if we only played 11 forwards? Well, our coach doesn't work that way, and our 4th line is pretty darn awesome. So unless there's an injury or one of those top-6 above gets moved, I don't see why Despres can't get a little more seasoning down in WBS, esepcially if he keeps playing like he did today.

Edit: And again, we cannot discount the possibility of a trade. Unfortunately, I'm not very optimistic that we're going to get a roster player (ie. Setoguchi, Stewart, etc) for prospect like Maatta, who is a few years away. So if we're looking at prospects who are at the top of the list for trade candidates, I'd have to put Despres name right at the top. If there's a team like, say, Minnesota, and they think Despres could look nice on their D right now and would move a Setoguchi or Charlie Coyle for him, we would have to seriously think about pulling the trigger on that deal, especially the way Dumoulin is looking down in WBS as a big-lefty going forward. I just have the feeling that if we're going to move one of our young D for an established or near NHL ready player, Despres is the most likely guy to go.

Last edited by jmelm: 02-04-2013 at 01:32 AM.
jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote