View Single Post
02-04-2013, 02:57 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Aslanrh View Post
I am more interested in the potential for finding defensive help through RFAs this offseason than the UFAs. See some teams like StL and NYR having some salary cap issues with a few contracts to sign. Not thinking offer sheets, but either the RFAs may be available for a trade, or a solid Dman who the RFA will replace could pop up. Doubt we'll get much from the UFA market defensively, but the buy outs, RFA signings, and cap hits could open some possibilities.
St. Louis currently has the lowest payroll in the league (I know, but it's true). They won't be giving anyone up of consequence anytime soon. The Rangers already got rid of their big albatross contract on defense (Redden) and the rest of still young and relatively cheap.

But I agree, it may take a trade to get quality blueline talent to supplement EJ. I'd guess if any team is getting ready to divest talent pretty soon, it's Calgary. Thing is...I really, really don't want the Avs to trade with a division rival, and CERTAINLY not that one.

I still think a guy worth taking a look at is Yannick Weber. Again, I'm not the biggest fan, but he's only 23 and making less than a million on his current deal, and he'll be an RFA this offseason. He's the odd man out in Montreal...I would think we could find SOMETHING Bergevin could use. Besides, the last Montreal blueline reject we traded for turned out pretty well for us.

And actually, there are some decent options out there via UFA this offseason. I think Mark Streit would be a great addition.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote