View Single Post
Old
02-04-2013, 08:42 AM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
I fully expect Luke Schenn to be a fan favorite and for most people on this forum to think we got fair value in the trade regardless of what JVR does in Toronto.

Why? Because JVR wasn't very physical and was inconsistent as a 23 year old, which angered 75% of people are here because being physical is the "Flyer way" and because all top-2 draft picks should produce immediately, regardless of if they're coming from the OHL or college.

Furthermore, Luke Schenn is a physical beast who will likely continue to lead the league in hits for several years to come and will also provide quite a few highlight reel hits each year. He plays the perfect "Flyer game" that most fans here love and hence they will forgive him for the turnovers that turn into goals and for the poor offensive instincts, the poor first passes out of the zone, taking himself out of position looking for a big hit, etc.

Matt Carle's turnovers led to goals 5 times last year in 82 games.
Luke Schenn has 2 turnovers that directly led to goals in his last 2 games. The Staal goal against Carolina and the Wolski goal versus the Capitals.

He was also caught puck-watching and lost his man Lecavalier for a goal in the TBL game.

And he deflected a goal in on Bryzgalov in the Pittsburgh game.

I'm not a Luke Schenn hater, I think he's a nice defenseman w/ shutdown potential, but I do think he deserves a fair bit of criticism for his play these last couple games, but I doubt you'll see him get much of that criticism because of the type of game he plays. It's "Flyers Hockey"!
I think he had a few rough games (the first two of the season and the most recent two) but other then that he's been very good. I think his inconsistency has to do with the fact that he's only 23 which is very young for a d-man. People forget it took Coburn a while to put it together and on somedays he still looks like s**t. I think he'll be a good 2nd pairing guy in this league for a long time.

With that said IF JVR ever reaches his potential the Flyers lose this trade big time.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote