View Single Post
Old
02-04-2013, 08:07 AM
Lshap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Ward was a great player.

So was Koivu, so was the Edmonton goalie, and I forget who else they injured. They're the last impressive cup winner of the cap era imo... notice that they have consistently sucked since.

Anyway, with respect to the thread question, yes, I think Price can help us win a cup, but 2006 Carolina is not a good analogy imo, because Habs as currently constituted can't play that dirty game. A better analogy might be 1993 Montreal. 1993 Montreal is often considered to be the Patrick Roy show, but my understanding (I was 9 at the time) is that there was actually a very good team playing in front of Roy.
I remember '93 very well. We had no offensive stars, but we had a ton of solid scoring depth and a very tough group of guys - Muller, Keane, Damphouse, LeClair, Carbo, etc. But Roy was fantastic. There was nobody who combined focus, intensity and pure athletic skill like he did, and I say this having watched Ken Dryden through the 70s.

But '93 was more than an 'overachieving' team lucking its way to a bunch of overtime wins and a Cup. Our playoff record was 16-4, which is a rare level of dominance. We could've lost a couple of overtimes and still won the Cup.

Could this year's club make that kind of run? Price can. He's raised his play to a new high and is stealing goals he would've let in before. He's definitely the kind of goalie that can take a good team over the top to a Cup. But the rest of our roster of rookies and developing players is wayyy too fresh out of the oven to predict anything. This season is turning into a huge crapshoot. Washington and Philly as bottom-feeders? Tampa as a powerhouse? It's like the entire NHL shuffled the deck and started fresh, which was exactly what the Habs needed. All predictions are off... let's see how this Bizarro-World season plays out.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote