View Single Post
Old
02-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
The fact is that Setoguchi has only scored between 36 and 41 points in each of the last 3 years - and in two of which he was playing with more than capable playmakers. He's off to another slow start and has played his way off the Wild's scoring lines, which is why he's on the trading block. He makes 3 mil per, and Minnesota clearly doesn't have the horses to allow him to perform to his salary.

There's no way in hell that track record and those particulars deserve a 1st round pick on their own. If I'm giving up a 1st for a player making 3 mil per, he'd better be effective in his role without requiring a Crosby or Malkin. I'd rather save the asset and push for a reliable scoring winger at the deadline.
And had he been a Pens player, you would have pointed out, correctly, that in those years proceeding his high scoring season, he remained a 20 goal scorer - on pace for 23-25 goals every year. You'd also mention that he came from a team with some if the best top6 depth in the league, and that his scoring last year came despite Minnesota being wrecked by injuries, particularly to their best centers.

Ultimately a young goal scorer perennially clocking 20 plus goals.... That guy will have value above and beyond that of a newly drafted blueliner unless that blueliner has shown something really special. I've been on the 'get Seto for Sid' for a long time, and that's because I think he is good. You're suggesting that we can get a young sniper for our first line for someone who can maybe be a second pairing D-man within 5 years... and they have to add???? If we are talking Niskanen they might go for something like that. More likely straight up.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote