View Single Post
Old
02-04-2013, 12:33 PM
FlyingHigh28*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I thought one of the worst calls of the game was the running into the kicker call on the Ravens that lead to the Akers re-kicking the ball. I watched the replay a bunch and it looked like to me the guy on the Ravens never touched him but after the kick Akers fell on top of him. Anyone else notice that or did I miss something?

I thought it was a great game. The non-call at the end could have easily been called illegal contact or pass interference or gone uncalled IMO (as it did), and I know this is a double-edged sword, but I would rather see the game decided on a questionable non-call than a questionable call. The play looks a lot worse in slo-mo than it did in full speed.
If you watch a slow-mo of the Akers thing, the defenders arm/shoulder rolls into and through Akers' plant leg (right around the ankle) which is what causes him to fall. The reason why some people are saying Akers flopped is because they are unfamiliar with the fact that after kicking the ball, pretty much all kickers take a large hop forward onto their plant leg, which is what makes it look like Akers is off balance, but it's a normal thing for him. After he takes that "hop" forward is when the defender rolls through his ankle. Look at the defenders hand in a slo-mo and you'll see clearly he does make contact.

As for the no-call, it looked bad in slow-mo and in full-speed. I've watched Crabtree a ton this season and I know what his normal acceleration looks like. He was significantly impeded by a 2-handed grab of his jersey and an arm-bar from Smith. It was blatant, it had a profound effect on the play, and it was textbook pass interference or at the very least defensive holding/illegal contact.

But you know what? There was an easy out for the referees here. If you're too chicken s*** to "decide" the game on a penalty, then you call defensive pass interference and offensive pass interference. The penalties offset, you replay 4th down, and then you REALLY LET THE PLAYERS DECIDE THE GAME.

Oh, and by the way, those saying that the game would've been decided by the refs had a pass interference call been made clearly haven't been watching football in the past 5 years. Assuming the 49ers scored on the next play from the goal-line, the Ravens would've had roughly 1:40 and THREE TIMEOUTS to get into field goal range to either tie or win the game (depending on whether or not SF's 2 point conversion was good). 1:40 is an absolute ETERNITY in the modern NFL game with 3 timeouts to your name too. If Flacco couldn't have gotten his team into FG range w/ that much time left, then the Ravens didn't deserve to win the Super Bowl.