View Single Post
Old
02-04-2013, 11:34 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
There was certainly contact initiated by both players, and yes there was some holding on the part of the DB. I don't find them play or non-call all that controversial, for three reasons: 1) I don't feel any of the contact was egregious - refs had let some contact go in the passing game throughout; 2) at that late stage of the game, there is an expectation of "whistle-swallowing," well established in past practice (I am not sure I agree with that philosophy, but I also think back to a certain "too many men" penalty); 3) just one call among many throughout a game that, despite some fans' outcry, tend to find a neutral level - I get Ravens-haters (hell, I am one) desire for a different outcome, and thus a predisposition to look for a conspiracy, but I just don't see it.
No serious dispute with any of that. Not espousing a conspiracy, just the usual difficulty/incompetence of officiating everywhere. Yes, I hate the Ravens and wanted them to lose, but I might have been even more in favor of the storybook ending a completion on that last Niners drive might have made. In any case, it was a pretty good game and controversy often accompanies big games like that.