Thread: Big Point Shot
View Single Post
Old
12-16-2003, 08:32 AM
Zhackpot

vCash: 500
Montador has a big shot but he still has Al MacInnis rookie syndrome and will wind up and shoot it into a shot blocker. Has to learn to side step those guys but can't do that until he keeps his head up.

Regehr used to have this same problem but is now more akin to put an accurate, low to the ice wrister on net and have it defelcted rather than a booming slap shot be blocked or miss the net.

It would be nice to have that 100 mph slapper from the point but until Montador uses his head at the point Sutter doesn't want to risk giving up a 2 on 1 or breakaway short handed because of a Montador mistake.

Montador's play otherwise has been excellent and I have no doubt other teams looking for defencemen will come asking for him.

May not be a bad move to move him at the trade deadline for more scoring help if the Flames are in a playoff spot. I know most teams need D but come playoffs goals are harder to come by and the Flames already struggle in that department on a regular basis while their D has been much improved.

Plus with Phaneuf and Ramholt looking like they may be ready to make the jump when the NHL has their next season I say it's only time before Montador is history.

If Ference could regain some of his scoring touch that he had in junior ( 180 + points in about 260 games) he could possibly fill the void.