View Single Post
Old
02-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Someone should try to explain this Corsi stuff to me because whenever I look at it I just don't know what I'm looking at. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. Or I'm an idiot. The shots for/against is easy enough.
Corsi basically is just that. Shots for and shots against when you're on the ice. It's supposed to signify puck possession but it's quite flawed for many reasons.

First is obviously zone starts. O'Byrne and Zanon start most of their shifts in the defensive zone. That leads to shots against.

Secondly, we have no way of valuing quality of shots. Part of the reason Landeskog is a Corsi god is that he takes a lot of low percentage shots. I don't mind him doing that, but quite a few of them are shots just to go on a line change. Compare with Eberle who only shoots when he's in close in a good spot. His shots are 'worth' more Landeskog shots, since they have a completely different approach to shooting.

On one level Corsi/zone starts and all these things are interesting but they aren't the Rosetta Stone of hockey, unlocking a perfect understanding of the game. Sadly many followers of advanced hockey stats lack a basic understanding of how stats work so they tend to get carried away with them.

I like stats, but I think watching games tells you much more about teams and players. You never get context when just looking at stats.

/rant over.