View Single Post
Old
02-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
I was pulling for a Luongo for Kadri + deal during the offseason.

However, now as a fan of both franchises I think it is best to wait to the offseason.

On Vancouver (healthy) there really isn't room for Kadri (even if he is playing outstanding).
I think he could be a very good piece on the 2nd line for Van, but Van can't put him there this year.

It makes sense for both sides to center a deal around Kadri in the offseason for 2 reasons

Toronto - If Kadri plays well, it only improves his value. The question marks around Kadri are starting to disappear, and hes establishing himself as a regular NHL'er. He reminds me too much of Hodgson.

Vancouver - Next year there is a good chance Booth is traded/waived for cap reasons. This opens up a spot on the wing next to Kesler/Burrows (who could use a playmaker).
Vancouver can let Kadri develop in Toronto, and get a chance to develop his NHL game this year, and don't have to go through the process of developing him. They get a more established NHL player.

Toronto maximizes the value of one of their assets, Vancouver gets a more refined NHL player while staying more competitive this year.

If TOR was reticent to deal youth prior to the season starting, I'm unsure they would be in the offseason. Especially if TOR misses the playoffs and draft high again. There's no pressure on them to compete right away.

In the offseason, all bets are off. Team rosters will be in flux and some others, like PHI, may come into the mix. Too many variables to contemplate it with any sense of reason.