View Single Post
Old
02-04-2013, 05:09 PM
hockeydoug

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Its awesome for a team like St. Louis who is near the cap floor. Its going to be hard for any team near the cap to make big moves without moving out salary as well.
I'll take Chicago's position over STL's position after this season. Nothing Stillman has done so far shows me he's going to spend like he's going to need to in order to keep that thing together. Players hitting FA soon and Hitchcock won't be able to dictate situational ice time as easily as he's been able to last year and this year. STL entering a volatile timeframe, they won't be hitting the FA market, they have to worry about their own roster the next 24 months. Chicago, despite the tough cap position, is in a much better spot to make a big signing imo. Maybe I'm wrong about Stillman.

I wonder if Weiss would allow a trade, and I wonder if he's completely committed to the idea of hitting the market as a UFA. Goc would be an improvement, but I don't want to see a roster player moved for him. He can win a faceoff and he's somewhat capable offensively but I don't think he's a player well suited for special teams and I don't think he can be relied on for than a few stretches throughout a season. I like his contract though, low risk in terms of the cap hit. Between he and Bolland, at least one of them should be available at 100% health.